Monday 15 August 2011

Flying with a Baby... Part 1

In a few hours Miss S, my mom and I will be flying across the ocean to Germany. Since having a baby, I have gotten somewhat better at packing... or so I thought.

My carry on is, of course, the diaper bag. My beloved Ju-Ju-Be is being left behind in favour of my larger bag, which I am all ready second guessing because at least my Pack-A-Be can be a back pack...wearing the Ergo and carrying a bag, and stroller, will not be fun. Oh wait. Scratch that. I can always put the diaper bag in the stroller if I am wearing Miss S. Crisis averted.

As I was saying, normally I would be packing a change of clothes for myself. Now, by the time I get clothes for the baby, snacks for the baby, entertainment for the baby...I barely have room for my Kobo. Not to mention the suitcase that is full of diapers, wipes, baby shampoo and more. I don't have my own shampoo packed because, when I stopped at WalMart to get diapers and travel shampoo, I was distracted by the umbrella strollers and toddler snacks and totally forgot to buy items for myself.

I am fortunate to have a car seat waiting for me, otherwise I would also be lugging around a massive car seat. If we were flying direct, it would be no big deal. We are not. We have to take the train from the airport to the next city, hence the umbrella stroller purchase. Miss S will only tolerate being carried for so long, and if she wants to snack, I don't want to arrive with fruit and cereal in my hair (and in my bra).

All right. No more stalling. I have to finish getting ready. We leave for the airport in 2.5 hours... here's hoping baby girl sleeps for another 30 minutes so she can wake up and have a meal before we go.
And here's hoping that the airplane has those nifty little TVs in every seat, or at least USB ports so I can plug in the iPod for her and the Kobo for me.

Wish us luck.
S&S

No comments:

Post a Comment