Monday 1 August 2011

Babies and Food

I have other posts about pregnancy, childbirth and life with a newborn, but, in this house, food is our new "go to" topic. It used to be poop. Don't deny it mommas, food and poop are obsessions when you have infants. If you had told 16 year old me that all I would ever think or talk about as a mother is food and baby poop, I would never have believed it and laughed in your face. I don't care who you are, if you have children, you spend a portion of everyday worrying about either what they are (or are not) eating, and what they are (or are not) expelling.
My little monkey loves to eat. Or she did. Turning one has apparently made her a much pickier eater. One day last week she would only eat blueberries and strawberries. Another day it was cheese. I tried a grilled cheese and cheese with pasta, both were epic fails. One day she loved edamame, the next she threw them at the dog.  Just when I think she has a new favourite and buy it in bulk, I'll open the new container and she'll spit it out, throw it at the dog, or, in the case of couscous, whip it across the dinning room. Have you ever tried to clean up couscous? I am still finding it in little nooks and crannies.
Another fun things about having a one year old is self feeding. We did baby led weaning, so she has been eating finger style foods for months, but she has now decided she should learn to use a spoon. This also means that she has learned that a spoon can be twice as effective for throwing food as her hand. It also means that even more food ends up in her hair, ears, eyes and nose. A girlfriend of mine, whose baby has yet to grow hair, commented that she didn't have to bathe her little one every night. Well ladies, when you have a baby with a full head of hair, bathing is a necessity, not an option, because by bath time, her hair is full of leftovers. It's only 10:30am and already I have rinsed her hair in the sink to rid it of leftover yogurt, eggs and cheese. Oh the joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment