Wednesday 10 August 2011

Coffee

I love coffee. I would love to be able to enjoy one, just one, uninterrupted cup a day. Summers used to be all about enjoying a cup of coffee in silence. Often in bed or sitting on the deck with no noise. 


And then I became a mother.


Don't get me wrong, because I wouldn't trade being a momma for a whole pot of coffee, but on days like today, when I have a killer headache, a barking dog and a baby who has recently started putting her fingers in her ears and screaming at the top of her lungs, I reminisce about the days when I'd just be getting up, making myself a cup of coffee and simply enjoying the morning sunshine. Now I am woken, enjoy the sunrise, feed the baby, change the baby (sometimes two times before breakfast), put the coffee on, get breakfast ready, make a coffee, get the baby ready for breakfast and give her food, feed the dog, get my own breakfast, zap my coffee, eat a few bites, clean everything up, zap my coffee...and eventually give up after half a cup.


Today I actually enjoyed most of the coffee, only it was full of blueberry muffin from the baby girl who has taken to sticking her dirty little fingers in my cup. I have tried to give her a little plastic mug of water, but there is no fooling her. She wants mine. The dog sits at my feet begging for coffee (thanks to my mother, who has got him hooked), the baby is practically taking me out to get her hands in the cup...Forget it. I'll try again at nap time, though, at this rate, I'll be napping then too.


Here's me, signing off, still thinking about my now cold and blueberry filled cup of coffee. 

1 comment:

  1. I sooo hear you.
    I relish my hot coffee at work in the morning, it stays hot, and it's uninterrupted (for the most part). Because at home, it's only drunk cold, and sometimes mine has muffin in it too ;)

    ReplyDelete