Saturday 17 September 2011

Adventures of Toddlerhood

That's right folks. We have officially entered toddlerhood. Miss S walks/waddles everywhere now. She can make it across the house easily, occasionally stopping to catch her balance, sometimes falling (when her pesky socks get in her way), and rarely stopping to crawl. She is getting pretty fast on her feet.
This means that everything is being moved up another level. It was easy with a crawler, nothing breakable was at her eye level, aka on the floor. Now we are even more careful and I have developed a 6th (or are we on 7th) sense...the ability to predict what it is she has gotten into when it is quiet.

At least she has given up on going under the sink, but yanking her out of the TV cabinet for the umpteenth time this morning has given me a new appreciation for newborns...and walker. I wish we had walkers in Canada. It would create a barrier between her and whatever cabinet/drawer she wants to get into. Alas, here in Canada we have to simply watch our young ones, tell the "NO" and "eh eh", pull their hands (or bodies) away from the "DANGER".  Miss S hears these three things many times in a day, she also shakes her head and "eh ehs" right back at me...or pokes her finger out at the "DANGER" and yelps "AH!" Apparently she doesn't know that "AH! HOT!" is a bad thing, she thinks it is a game.

Speaking of games, I never thought I would tire of "peak a boo". Miss S can play for hours. If I stop, she will cover my face with her hands, or throw a blanket over my head, the pull it off and exclaim in excitement, "EEEHHHH YA YA!" Even in the bathtub we play this game, only then it is with a wet washcloth that often ends up everywhere but in the actual tub.

It is fun though. It's an amazing thing to think back to a year ago, she was just a little baby, a lump. She couldn't move at all. I would put her down on her blanket and find her exactly where I left her. Those were the good old days. Only now, 525,600 minutes later, I get goopy kisses, bear hugs, a baby (toddler) that crawls into my lap with her blankie to snuggle and constant giggles and looks of wonder at the world around her. A year passes so quickly, heck, 14 months have passed so quickly. It's scary to think of where we will be next year. For now I'll just enjoy these moments...especially the quiet ones while she naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment