Monday 25 March 2013

A Letter To My Son

My Dear Little Boy,
You are nine days old today and you have already captured our hearts. Your sisters adore you (Miss S think of herself as a second mother), your parents are entranced and your grandparents are just in love. You have completed our family and we are so glad that you (finally) decided to make your arrival.
Your birth was highly anticipated. We were waiting...and waiting...Daddy's holidays were almost over and we were STILL WAITING, but finally, on Friday morning, our wonderful midwife called and offered to help get things started.
At bout 10:30am on Friday, March 15, we saw our wonderful midwife Agnes and she preformed a stretch and sweep after receiving a somewhat pleading call from your mommy. Daddy took your sisters out of the house and left mommy to sleep the afternoon away. Grano brought home dinner, and it was then that sporadic contractions began. I didn't think much of them, I knew that it was entirely possible that it was just more false labor.
In fact, I was so sure that I was NOT in labor, that I went shopping to buy a chair for your nursery after putting your sister to bed. Got home, went to bed, but by about 10:30, I had the distinct feeling that it wasn't braxton hicks anymore.
At 11pm I started timing the contractions, then let your dad know that he needed to get upstairs while I got in the tub to see if water slowed things down...it didn't. We let Grano know that labor had started and we'd call when we needed her to come by. Daddy set up the bedroom for your birth. Warm, worn sheets for the bed, soft towels, and enough shower curtains and plastic table cloths to cover the floor.
By 1am mommy said it was time to page Agnes and get Grano. They both arrived around 1:30, just as I told your daddy that he better call Agnes and tell her to page the second midwife.
Sure enough, I was 7cm dilated and Andy, our other midwife, was on her way.
Things are blurry for the next little while as we suffered through contractions while being attached to an IV, which definitely limited mobility! As soon as the IV was done and I could stand, I did, and soon after, there was a gush of water. So different from your sister, with whom labor began with a trickling of water breaking.
The contractions became more intense and it was time to get back onto the bed. Mommy was so happy to be able to push, so excited and eager to meet you my little one.
After 4 pushes, about 20 minutes total, you came screaming out. Literally. We heard you scream the moment your head was out.
It was the most empowering moment. Bringing my beautiful son into the world in the comfort of our home, warm in our bed. Those first moments are so precious, and were made so much more comfortable with the scents, sounds, sights and touches of home surrounding us.
You looked so much like your sister, but so clearly masculine. And bigger, though it wasn't for an hour or so that we found out just how much bigger.
Your sister, born at 41.2 weeks, was 6.15 pounds and 54cm. You, at 41.1weeks weighed a whopping 9.6 pounds and measured at 56cm. Already verging on too big for newborn sizes, but so chubby and beautiful. Your delivery, for such a big boy, was easy. You were meant to be just as you are.
And here we are, 9 days later. Your favourite place to sleep is snuggled in close to me, your sweet baby smell intoxicating me as I sleep. You are snuggly and soft and, if there was ever a "spoiled" boy, it is you. You are always close to someone, always snuggled up.
Welcome to the world my son. We are so happy you are here.
Love and Kisses Always,



















Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment