Friday 30 December 2011

Happy Holidays!

2011 is almost over. I can't believe it. I can't even begin to describe how incredible the past year has been. Miss S has changed more in the past year than I could ever imagine. She has achieved so much, grown so much, and amazed me so much...she has grown from an infant to a toddler. From 100% dependent on me, to wanting to become more independent. Last year she was wearing 3m clothing, now she is in 18m clothing. How is that even possible?? Last year she was rolling, today she is running, dancing, spinning...last year she was cooing, now she is talking.
Enough gushing for a moment, because what I really want to talk about is having a toddler at Christmas.
In many ways, it is SO MUCH FUN! Sure, she is TERRIFIED of Santa (though she likes looking at pictures of Santa and saying, "Ho ho ho!"), but BOY, does she love presents! All we have to do is tell her there is a present for her and she comes a running! She booked it downstairs and ran to the tree on Christmas Day, she didn't know where to start, but watching her was the entertainment for the day.
Sure, nap time was a bust, but she was in great spirits because of the food, presents and family around her giving her constant attention. She was a little social butterfly and the entertainment for the night.
However, it was also more that a little overwhelming. By bed time, she was DONE, like crying over everything DONE. It's basically been a week of visitors and general disruption to routine, including tomorrow, New Year's Eve. Luckily I have managed to get her into bed at a decent time the past two nights (7:30 and 7:45 ish), which is MUCH better than after 8, I only like the chocolates, not the bedtime. If Miss S goes to bed at 8:30, that means by the time I get settled, bathed and make a cup of tea myself (after cleaning the kitchen and doing laundry), it's close to, or after 10, which leaves very little time to read or watch TV, and isn't that what winter holidays are supposed to be all about? Thank GOD I still have a week off. I plan on doing NOTHING. Taking down the Christmas decorations will be the busiest day of my week.
All in all though, it has been a fabulous December. I am already thinking about how excited she will be on her birthday and next Christmas, she'll be even more aware of Santa, presents and gushing family spoiling her rotten. Plus, she will hopefully have a better understanding of what, "Leave the tree ALONE! Stop! No. Those are mommy's decorations...DANGER," means. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment